In the mining process, ore mills generate huge amounts of waste, called tailings. These are most commonly dumped into ponds created from naturally existing valleys, and secured by dams. Other naturally sourced water, such as rainfall or snowmelt that was also collected in the ponds, needs to undergo the same treatment as the tailings.
The composition of the water in the ponds varies, and it is usually rich in sulfates and heavy metals.
The main threat of tailing ponds is contamination of drinking water sources due to pond overflow or dam failure, or penetration into the aquifer.
IDE’s Solutions for Tailing Ponds
IDE’s expertise in both membrane and thermal technologies allows it to offer end-to-end solutions for produced water treatment, including tailing ponds – from water to Zero Liquid Discharge (ZLD) level. This includes all necessary pretreatment, ultra-filtration, reverse osmosis, evaporators and crystallizers.
Our modular and pre-fabricated solutions for both RO and thermal solutions are easy to install with minimal on-site set up, and are particularly suited for remote locations.
Offering Unique Benefits to Our Partners
- End-to-end solution, from water to a full ZLD solution
- Full process guarantee
- Robust and reliable solutions for difficult effluents
- Modular, pre-fabricated solutions
- Minimal energy and chemical consumption
- Custom designed process to meet the most stringent discharge limitations
- Easy to operate with fewer personnel required, thus further reducing operating costs
- Pre-assembled and tested prior to delivery