Thermal Desalination (MED & MVC)
Cost effective, Desalination Solutions for Seawater
IDE is internationally recognized as a pioneer and leader in the delivery of Thermal Desalination plants. IDE’s Low Temperature Thermal Distillation units are capable of producing boiler feed water from seawater. They are available in two versions differentiated by the method used for the supply of energy:
- Mechanical Vapour Compression (MVC), a proprietary electrically driven mechanical compressor.
- Multi Effect Distillation (MED), a low-pressure steam process.
Thermal Desalination – Multi-Effect-Distillation (MED) Solutions for Seawater
Advantages of IDE’s MED Desalination Solutions
IDE’s MED units are the industry’s most reliable, robust and cost-efficient seawater desalination solutions. With capacities ranging from 600 to 25,000 m³/day per unit, the MED units produce a reliable, low-cost stream of high purity water for power plants and industries that can provide low-grade steam as an energy source. IDE customizes its MED solutions for the needs of each customer, including the site-specific characteristics of seawater and steam inputs.
The World’s Most Advanced Desalination Technology
The MED approach utilizes the advanced technologies and know-how developed by IDE, to achieve exceptional thermal efficiency and reliability. Its underlying concept is a multi-effect process in which a spray of seawater is repeatedly evaporated and then condensed, with each effect at a lower temperature and pressure. This highly efficient process multiplies the quantity of pure water that can be produced using a given quantity of energy, resulting in a significant reduction in cost.
Key Benefits of IDE’s MED plants
- Fast installation time.
- High availability and very high reliability.
- Customized for economic, reduced-cost performance over the long term. Modular design allows the number of process effects to be optimized for the plant’s specific environment and site conditions.
- Minimized desalination costs due to use of proprietary low temperature process.
- Avoid scaling and fouling with large wetting areas in the heat transfer tubes.
- Reliable, non-clogging wetting operations due to large pitch design.
- Prevent heavy metal ions from entering the plant with our on-line ion trap.
- Eliminates corrosion phenomena through de-aeration of the incoming feed (seawater) within the falling film condenser.
- Electrical insulation and protects against galvanic corrosion with use of rubber grommets to seal all heat transfer tubes.
- Extended lifecycle due to non-erosive titanium condenser components.
Thermal Desalination – Mechanical Vapour Compression (MVC) Solutions for Seawater
Advantages of IDE’s MVC Desalination Solutions
IDE’s self-contained MVC unit is a reliable, cost-effective desalination solution for refineries, process industries, power stations and remote development sites – perfect for when electricity is the only source of power. Dozens of enterprises with a critical need for stable and reliable sources of process and boiler feed water have deployed the MVC as an affordable, low-maintenance, workhorse desalination solution.
By working together with IDE’s MVC team, customers get higher performance and unmatched reliability and availability. Starting with fast and easy installation, IDE’s MVC desalination plants deliver continuous uninterrupted desalination, independent of waste heat cycle.
IDE’s MVC plants are customized for economic performance over the longer-term, with guaranteed Boiler Feed Quality Water (BFW) with less than 5 ppm TDS.
Our MVC plants use waste steam to generate electricity. This means operational costs are reduced and less steam is released into the environment. A win-win. Operational costs are further lowered due to a simple process and design with few moving parts. This means higher overall efficiency for a lower cost.
Key Benefits of IDE’s MVC plants
- Unique patented compressor technology: reliable, field-tested technology delivers highest efficiency compression.
- Fully-automated operation with low maintenance.
- Heat transfer bundles: made of a special aluminium alloy suitable for seawater applications.
- Feed spray system: non-clogging, corrosion-proof acetyl spray nozzles optimized for wetting requirements.
- Skid-mounted steel frame: a compact support structure that houses all the unit’s operating and process control modules including: pumps, motors, piping and instrumentation.
- Air removal condenser: an efficient auxiliary condenser to evacuate non-condensable gases and seawater feed de-aeration.