Fredi Lokiec, Executive Vice President, Special Projects – IDE Technologies Ltd.
This paper presents the business structure and some of the many technological features of the Sorek Project, which consists of the financing, design, construction, operation and transfer of a seawater desalination facility with a guaranteed production capability of 150 Mm3 /year for a term of circa 25 years. The Bid Price of US¢ 58.5/m3 (as of October 1st 2009) offered by Sorek Desalination Ltd. (SDL), the consortium led by IDE Technologies Ltd. developing and constructing the Sorek Plant, is one of the lowest prices ever offered in a BOT project for seawater desalination. Several factors contribute to the low water price offered by the Consortium:
- Contractual Structure with proper risk allocation
- Adaptation of SWRO technology for large-scale plants (pressure centers concept)
- Introduction of large diameter (16″) membrane elements
- Innovative design incorporating vertical arrangement of membrane pressure vessels
- Advanced Energy Recovery System (low energy consumption)
- Self-Generating Energy Supply System (low electricity cost) Creative structuring of a mixed NIS (New Israeli Shekel) and Euro Financing Plan